Frequently Asked Questions

if you don't find the information you need, please contact us at [email protected]

How can I find out who my advisor is?
Your advisor is listed in the upper left corner of your APAS report.

Do I have to take courses in a single Area of Emphasis?
ApEc Majors
The electives in your major, or the professional application cluster, must be at least 12 credits, of 3xxx, 4xxx, or 5xxx level APEC courses. This is additional coursework above that taken for the Applied Economics Core. 

AFBM Majors
An area of emphasis establishes a general focus on the electives you select in your major. 12 credits must be completed using courses selected from a list of alternatives in each area. Areas of emphasis include Agricultural Markets & Risk Management; Entrepreneurship & Business Management; Financial Analysis & Business Management; Food Sales & Industry Management; or an Individualized Area of Emphasis. Courses in the area of emphasis may count toward the required elective credits in Applied Economics and Economics (6-8 credits) or Carlson School of Management electives (6-8 credits).

Are there courses that may substitute for required courses?
Consult with the Major Coordinator or your Academic Advisor for questions about course substitutions. The equivalence of transferred courses is evaluated on a case-by-case basis by petition.

What is required for pre-AFBM majors to be admitted to the major?
For admission to the Agricultural and Food Business Management major, pre-AFBM students must complete a minimum of 60 credits and a set of three tool courses. The overall GPA must be at least 2.50 and a minimum grade of C- is required in all of the tool courses – the tool course GPA must be at least 2.50.

As a pre-AFBM major, when and how do I apply for admission to the major?
After you have completed the tool courses and a minimum of 60 credits, you may apply to the major. An application form may be downloaded from this website (see link under “Requirements” on this page) and instructions for applying are on the form.

What does it mean to be admitted to the AFBM major from the pre-AFBM program?
Once admitted to the AFBM major from the pre-AFBM program, students officially add an emphasis, have access to certain Carlson courses, and can add Carlson minors officially.

When can I take courses in the Carlson School of Management?
Information about enrolling in Carlson School of Management courses may be found online at

What are the grade policies for ApEc/AFBM majors?
All professional courses, including the coursework in the area of emphasis, must be passed with a grade of C- or higher. The overall grade point average must be at least 2.000. Only general electives may be taken on an S/N grade basis; foundation courses, and professional courses in the core, and the area of emphasis must be taken on an A/F grade basis.

AFBM Majors
For admission to the AFBM major from pre-AFBM, an overall minimum GPA of 2.50 is required as well as a C- or better in each of the tool courses, and an average GPA of at least 2.50 in the tool courses.

What do I do if I am on academic probation?
If you are on academic probation, make an appointment with your advisor to discuss options. Additional instructions are located on the CFANS Academic Probation and Suspension page.

Can I do directed study or directed research?
You can earn credit by working in a lab or field setting under a faculty member’s guidance. Before signing up for APEC 3993 (Directed Study in Applied Economics) or APEC 3994 (Directed Research in Applied Economics), speak with your advisor to find out how the project credits will fit into your program of study, how to find a faculty member who is willing to serve as your mentor in the project, and how to register for the course. Review and follow the guidelines listed on this document (PDF) prior to filling out your Directed Activity Contract on the Office of Undergraduate Research's website.

How do I find an internship?
The Career and Internship Services in St. Paul lists available internships on their website. This is the most common source of internships for students. Sometimes students learn of internship opportunities directly from employers. Internship credits may be earned – for details, see Internships and Study Abroad.

How do I apply to graduate?
Once you have registered for the remaining courses you are required to take, your APAS should show all of the requirements as complete (OK) or in progress (IP). If it does not and you believe there is an error, please see your advisor to get the problem resolved. Learn more about graduation procedures at